Fall prevention plan is the key planning stage for the high risk activity for working at height on any workplace. The plan is essential to be setup and in place prior the working at height permit being implemented.
What is the examples of work environment commonly risk for the employee, workers in the workplace ?
- Slippery work surfaces ( such as wet floor, oily surface, dusty environment, glazed surface)
- Uneven ground or work area ( such as excavation area, profiles roof sheeting, uncompact ground )
- Constrained work area
- Raised work platform, slopping area.
- Work area that cluttered with equipment, materials, debris and tools.
- Unprotected edges on platform.
- Workers are working at high floor and subject to adverse weather conditions such as rain, strong wind etc.
- Overloading of working platform which may lead to collapse of temporary structure.
- Struck by moving object or equipment such as load from lifting activities or hoisting in progress.
- Falling objects from high working platform and putting risk to person on the ground.
- No proper access to carry out the repair work at height.
- Unsound working platform or structures and pose risk for the workers when used it.
The fall prevention plan shall be implemented by the company to ensure the activities to be carried out for the work process are carried out safely and measure to take to eliminate the risk.
What should the Fall Prevention Plan to be covered ?
1. Safe Work Procedures
- Write down the job and task for the work process to be carried out.
- The breakdown and interface activities for the job or task
- Types of equipment and materials to be used
- review the procedure when incident happen
The safe work procedures shall cover the duties and responsibilities of the supervisor & workers, the extend of the risk exposure for the activities, the control measure to mitigate it and type of training and competency required to perform the work. Example, the operator for the scissor & boom lift shall attend competency training before operate.
The procedures shall be briefed and endorsed by the Supervisor and workers before work start. Daily tool box talks and regularly briefing to the workers to remind the risk involved and control measure so that the procedures are being followed.
Different work activities and trades shall have different safe work procedures. No standard blanket procedures to be adopted. The requirement of the personal protective equipment can be different depend on the different nature of job.
2. Identify the use of Personal Protective Equipment or Fall Prevention Equipment
After the job or task has been identified, the PPE shall be carefully assessed and chose to be used to perform the work which is involved working at height.
All workers shall be provided the required PPE and provide necessary training before putting them on the task.
For the anchorage point for the life line when working on height, the design and construction of the anchor point and life line shall be designed and supervised by competence person before use. Signage and make known to the workers for the location and maximum load of the life line/ anchor point shall be communicated before work start.
Types of Fall Prevention Equipment :
- Travel restraint equipment
- Fall restraint system
- Individual fall arrest equipment
- Individual roper access system
3. Inspection and Maintenance of WAH Equipment
The PPE shall be inspected and checked before use. All the PPE has their own serviceable life span and shall not be used when it is expired although the condition remain good.
Establish a maintenance programme for the PPE, equipment and tools to be used and ensure regularly maintain in good working condition.
The fall prevention plan shall identify the pre-requisites or entry standards for the job or task.
List out the extend of competencies required for each level of control, types of training required and method of training if needed.
The training can cover the in-house training, manufacture training or third party training.
- Scissor lift training
- Scaffold erection supervisor course
- Working at height course for Supervisor/ Safety Assessor or Authorization Manager
5. Accident/ Incident Investigation
Establish the correction action plan and investigation report system when accident or incident occurred in the job site.
Steps and procedures and report to be done for review and submission purposed.
6. Emergency Response for Fall Rescue
List the procedure and response manner during any emergency situation either on human, property and equipment damage.
The communication channel and flow of contact shall be established and emergency drills to be carried out to ensure person involved are familiar.
The plan shall include the following :
- rescue method
- equipment to be used
- training required
- communication channel
- team members
The Fall Prevention Plan ( FPP) is to ensure the management and persons involved to take the preparedness and readiness before the high risk activity like working at height being executed. The systematic and readiness can mitigate and reduce the risk and work can be carry out safely manner.