What is the standard of measurement or quantity take off for Fireproofing work ?
Let’s establish type of fireproofing work available in the industry.
Type of FireProofing Work:
3. Insulation Type
The basic of the measurement is on per meter square ( m2) on the coverage of the steel or structure members for every sides.
Other consideration when estimating:
Design of the fire rating : 1 hour, 2 hour or 4 hour.
- The type of fire rating subject to the steel structure design and depend of the type of fireprofing can be achieved the rating.
- It is advisable to get the specialized advise from the fire proofing Professional Engineer ( PE) which will affect the type of the material to be used and affect on the cost.
Thickness of the fireproofing
- Thickness will design and it will endorse by Fireproofing’s PE.
- For calculation of DFT (dry film thickness) a factor called Hp/A (heated perimeter divided by cross sectional area), referred to as “section factor” and expressed in m-1, is used.
Internal or external of fireproofing material
- External fireproofing which is subjected to weather will require different type of material, and wire mesh will be added depend on the fire rating.
Volume of Area
- The volume of area will affect the rate of the fireproofing work
- The more the area the rate will be more competitive as the saving of mobilisation.
Access for the Application
- Do not miss out the type of access to perform the work.
- Some area may need scaffold erection, gondola, scissor lifts or boom lifts.
- The equipment cost to perform the work may add up the final rate of the work.
Fees for Professional Engineer & DOC
- In the norm, the fees of PE will be charged separately on top of the schedule of rate.
- The DOC ( declaration of Compliance) for the fireproofing work will subject to the project requirement. For example, intumescent paint will have DOC and cementitious spray will not require DOC.